This focused issued on “Cancer Risk Stratification and Management of Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules” is edited by Dr. Frédéric Triponez, from Thoracic and Endocrine Surgery, University Hospitals of Geneva and Faculty of Medicine of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland; and Dr. Samira Sadowski, from Service of Thoracic and Endocrine Surgery, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland.
Dr. Frédéric Triponez did his basic medical and surgical education in Geneva and then spent 2 years for specialized training in endocrine surgery in the Faculty of Medicine of Lille (prof C. Proye) and at University of Califorina at San Francisco (prof O. Clark). He then spent 2 more years at Hôtel-Dieu hospital in Paris (prof JF Regnard) for thoracic surgery. He is currently a full professor of surgery at the Faculty of Medicine of Geneva and head of the departement of thoracic and endocrine surgery at the University Hospitals of Geneva.
Dr. Samira Sadowski is an Assistant Clinical Investigator in Service of Thoracic and Endocrine Surgery, University Hospital of Geneva. Dr. Sadowski received her medical training at the University of Geneva, Switzerland, and she completed her general surgery residency training at the University Hospitals of Geneva. Dr. Sadowski’s work addresses the critical gaps in our knowledge of the basic mechanisms of neuroendocrine tumor biology, such as the high variability in receptor density and treatment response in patients with identical histology and tumor grade or the difficulties in detecting disease.
Focused issue outline:
- Preface: Overdiagnosis and overtreatment of indeterminate thyroid nodules
- Epidemiology and cytological - molecular approach to indeterminate thyroid nodules
- Ultrasound risk stratification of Thyroid nodules with Indeterminate Cytology
- Nuclear Imaging in Discriminating Benign from Malignant Cytologically Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules
- Core needle biopsy in the management of thyroid nodules with an indeterminate fine-needle aspiration report
- Gene Expression Classifier and Targeted Next-Generation Sequencing in the Management of Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules
- Non-invasive follicular thyroid neoplasm with papillary-like nuclear features (NIFTP) and impact on the reclassification of thyroid nodules
- Validation of molecular biomarkers for pre-operative diagnostics of human papillary thyroid carcinoma in fine needle aspirate
- Role of Frozen Section in the surgical management of indeterminate thyroid nodules
- Surgical management of cytologically indeterminate thyroid nodules